12.29.2005

jaya jaya!


@ annalakshmi in chennai Posted by Picasa
Mon, 5 Sep 2005

Namaskaram All,

Lila and I are happily landed at Shyamala's....and OH MY GOSH! This is sooo wonderful!!! Enjoyment is far too small a word! The flight was not quite pleasant but totally tolerable, it still amuses me that the airport code for Chennai is MAA...which is exactly what I feel from this entire continent, "Maaaaaa!...". Shyamala's new flat is on a very quiet street and ideal in countless ways. I've been happily drenched in the local flora and fauna, the meandering cows and water buffalo, crazy-eyed dingoes, Shyamala's pet crow that comes and asks for food at the door, the chipmunks that come and eat whatever is left behind, the tulsi basil (blessings from the goddess) that grows outside everyone's door, geckos that decorate the walls and I don't think I'll EVER get bored of the blue butterflies. AND THE FOOD!...need I say more? My body jumped for joy when I ate that first round of Johan's coconut chutney. Every little thing is fortifying my spirit, the kolam outside of this internet cafe was over the top and then that we take out shoes off before entering...yes, even the internet cafe! Well...its all really nice.


billboard Posted by Picasa

Lila is having a fabulous time, eating things that she can't pronounce, braving the heat, wearing a dupata for REAL and studying Tamil...one that I gave up on years ago...who in their right mind would make words with 16 syllables and no consonants? We are off on a temple adventure tomorrow to visit Chidambaram (Oh My GOSH!!!) and Pondicherry (the French port) and then the next day is the Ganesh Chaturti festival, we'll be paying much homage to Vinaka and then watching the murtis float into the ocean....ahhhh...there is so much more but it feels silly to tie it all down with words.

I now have an Indian cell phone...and it even seems to work, though I haven’t quite figured out how to answer it. Keeping in mind the time change (I'm about 11.5 hours ahead of you), feel free to call, I would love to be caught in the midst of some Indian moment and share it with you. I don't think the voice mail works so- no need to leave a message but I'll see that you called and call you back. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed, 12 May 2004
Bonjour Mes Amies

oooo la la.... Posted by Picasa

Greetings from the Land of Crepes, Chocolate and Culture Galore!

It took a while to figure out the whole cyber scene in this city of gothic churches and gaggles of eclair stuffed pigions. We've been utterly entertained by the never ending list of sites to see. The gargoyles on the cat walk above Notre Dame made my little heart pitter-pat. AND! The people have been a delight to interact with...I'm serious! When we are polite...like REALLY polite, they seem pleased as punch to have us here. Etiquette seems to be the name of the game...

For those who asked, there is no phone in the apartment.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
-Rumi