10.02.2006

skunk pies

Oh thank goodness! The new camera was obliging enough to let me swap the memory card into a different venue and chisel the photos out from there. Now I have some catching up to do as there is yet another photo shoot today. Shall we begin with a bit of the macabre? At the onset of October I am all a flutter of anticipation for the approaching Hallows Eve. I'll be making a full on Dios Del Muertos dinner the following day and thus, researching the culinary extravaganza that occurs in places like Oaxaca and Ixtapa, yes I read cookbooks for fun.














This photo [sorry for its lack of focus, I'm not yet adept with the depth of field on the new lens] is an action shot from a dinner a few nights ago. It seemed obvious that if I were to foray into the realms of Mexicano delectablosos [yes, I know that's not a word] that I should invoke the Goddess of the land, thus the Virgin of Guadalupe sits on the stove watching over the poblanos and posole.




















OK! Back to the macabre angle; a recent walk thru the cemetery turned into quite the odd photo shoot, it began with this amusing sign.















And then ventured past this beautiful lichen....
I'm so lichen it.











For the grand finale; you know how magpies are black and white? And you know how skunks are black and white? Well there's something about 3 magpies eating a dead skunk in a graveyard that is just totally over the top. I couldn't have even dreamed this one up! I took a whole series of "in flight" shoots but I'll spare you fragile kiddies the morbidity of it all.














And just so you don't all walk away thinking I've gone off the deep end, I DID of course take photos of flowers as well! These ones with the weird striped petals were at the front gate. Will anyone venture a guess as to why this happens? No, it wasn't paint.