7.20.2006

dreaming in rust

OK, it's true! The temple dancer has a "thang" for old trucks, Studebakers in particular.













I saw this one parked a few months back but each time I did a drive by shooting...of photos that is, the light was all wrong! On this day, the owner of the truck was in his yard talking on his cell ph. And the light was gooooood. As I pranced about his vehicle with my "toy" camera in tow (Holga 120 N) he approached me with concern that perhaps he had committed some transgression or maybe even a crime for which I was going to "report" him? "For what?" I ask, "owning such a nifty vehicle?"..."No way Man! You cool!"



















I recently learned that Studebaker existed between 1897-1966. They experimented with "powered wagons" as early as 1897...long before Ford. Their main agenda was to create electric engines.... NOT!!! Gasoline ...whoa...can you imagine where that would have taken us? They worked on the manufacture electric vehicles from 1902 to 1912 but then the company entered into a distribution agreement with two
manufacturers of gasoline powered vehicles in Detroit... all bets were off and the financial hemorrhaging began.