11.25.2006

koi in the rain











While in San Diego, I took a contemplative stroll thru the Japanese Tea Garden. The rain made for nice company.














I no longer think of reality
As reality.
So no reason then to think of dreams
As dreams.


-Saigyo, poet-monk, (1118-1190)
















Gentle foothills, and
in the dew drops of the mountains,
soaked, I waited for you--
grew wet from standing there
in the dew drops of the mountains.

-Prince Otsu (663-86)















A thousand strands
of glistening deep black hair
in tangles
all intertangled
like my dreams of you.

-Yosano Akiko (1878 - 1942)














Looking at the willows,
one ends up forgetting them

-Chiyojo (1703-1775)












Yesterday felt like a thousand years ago,
at the same time
I feel your hands still on my shoulders.

-
Yamamura Bocho (20th c)